Genetic Heredity Calculator is an interactive tool that calculates certain traits and disease risks an offspring might have, given his or hers parents' genotype data from commercial personal genomics companies. Since different companies sequence different markers, imputation is used to improve the results when possible.
Currently, GHC can perform an analysis of raw DNA data from the following personal genomics companies: 23andMe, deCODEme, Lumigenix, Family Tree DNA, Ancestry.com DNA, Genes for Good and MyHeritage DNA. If you have raw genome data from some company that is currently not supported by GHC, contact me and I might be able to write a parser for it.
Even though some of these companies went out of business or decided not to show health and traits information anymore due to some FDA directive, you can still use your raw DNA data with Genetic Heredity Calculator. For more information on how to download your raw data from 23andMe please see this page.
While this tool uses the latest scientific research to help create its statistical models, the science of personal genomics is still young and there are many things yet to be discovered before it could be used to predict diseases with utmost certainty. The information presented on this site is not intended to be a medical advice and should not be used for diagnosing, treating or preventing any disease. If you have questions about your genetic information and its relation to diseases or any other health-related issues - please consult your doctor.
These tools are available at this moment:
- Personal Report Calculates traits and disease risks for a given genome.
- Heredity Report Calculates traits and disease risks for two parents and their possible children, using parents' genomes.
- Child's Traits Estimates child's chances of inheriting a trait from his parents' and grandparents' phenotypes.
- Parent's Traits Estimates parent's traits based on child's and another parent's phenotypes.
- Punnett Square Calculates Punnett Square diagrams for up to 4 genes.
Supported data formats:
- 23andMe raw data (*.txt)
- Family Tree DNA Autosomal data (*.csv)
- Ancestry.com DNA data (*.txt)
- Genes for Good data (*.txt)
- MyHeritage DNA raw data (*.csv)
- deCODEme raw data (*.csv)
- Lumigenix raw data (*.txt)
72 trait and condition tests are supported by Personal and Heredity reports. The certainty of the results depends on the company that sequenced your DNA, please refer to this comparison table for more information.
Before using the calculator for the first time, please read this short tutorial
In order to keep all your genetic and personal information private, no personal data is transferred to an external server. All raw DNA data is kept locally on your computer and does not get uploaded to my server. All the calculations and analysis are performed on your computer using scripts in your browser. In fact, you can even disconnect from the Internet altogether once the calculator page has been loaded.